1. Project Statement
On a 99-hectare constructed wetland, a texture similar to lotus leaf vein is used to control the overall situation. Numuerous ponds and various native vegetation community are configured to form the matrix of the wilderness. The dewdrop devices made of metal materials make the wetland " From great matters see something delicacy" attractive.
Tongnan Dafo Temple Wetland Park is located in the core area of Tongnan's City image exhibition area. It adjacent to Fujiang River in the East and Dafo Temple, a national AAAA tourist destination in the south. It is a rare riverside wetland oasis in a high-density city. Designers aim to create “riverside beach suitable for flood ——Fujiang River wetland reappearance “, keep the tidal flat wetland environment of river channel as far as possible, compress the boundary of urban balcony, set up pedestrian corridor, and increase the wetland experience space for citizens. The project takes “leisurely walking along Jiangzhou flower embankment, gradually looking for three thousand Sumeru ” as the vision, in order to create a city riverside wetland park with local cultural characters.
2. Challenges and Design Objectives
As the main waterfront space in the central area of the city, the design faces great challenges: how to create the urban waterfront landscape with unique local characteristics and satisfy the function of urban activities. The site is mainly the shallows impacted by Fujaing River, mostly constructing of sand and gravel with serious percolation. The periphery of the site has been built for 20-year flood control. The problems designer faced include: how to build a landscape suitable for the flood? How to protect the wetland as the central area of urban precious resource? At the same time, as the core area of the city future development, how to activate the vitality of the city through the site landscape architecture design?
3. Design Strategies
Build the riverside beach suitable for flood —— the regression of Fujiang wetland. Design mainly through the following four aspects:
(1) Flexible design for flood friendly: most sites are located under the five-year flood line, and easily submerged by flooding. Therefore, in the design area, designers use minimum intervention measures to maintain geographical features as far as possible. On this basis, pedestrian walkway system is set up to increase the experience of wetland. At the same time, the arrangement of the main activity space and facilities in the non-submerged area reduces the maintenance cost and does not affect the public participation of the site.
(2) Restoration of animal and plant habitats in the beach: construction of ecological slope protection, restoration of the original maple poplar and grass vegetation in river center islands, and addition of tree islands to provide habitat for birds.
(3) Building a vibrant urban living room: according to the land use adaptability and project positioning, classifying different functional areas, Dafo Temple wetland area and other activity areas to provide a rich experience for the public, such as city balcony, flower stroll ladder, Jiangzhou wetland, lotus pure land, secret environmental practice, etc.
(4) Deep excavation of local culture: combing the local culture, extracting the two most suitable cultures, namely the Buddhist culture of the Great Buddha Temple plate and the shipping culture corresponding to Jinfu Island, and displaying the local characteristics and humanism through the site design.
After the park completed, it promotes the image of the city and becomes the new “name card” of Tongnan. The designers develop the principles with protecting the wetland and reactivating the wetland ecological function. The design idea of “flood as friend ” excavates the regional cultural characteristics, increases the site vitality and provides a sample for the future urban features of Tongnan.